When you think of going on holiday, you might think of sitting on a hot beach somewhere tropical, drinking refreshing cocktails. Although this is many people’s idea of a great time, there’s a growing number of Brits opting for a snow holiday to get some relaxation during the winter months with 6.3 million residents hitting the slopes each year.
What is a snow holiday?
A snow holiday is a big adventure that you can embark on in the winter months. Offering an experience like no other, a snow holiday involves packing your bags and grabbing some ski boots before setting off to a cold mountainous climate.
Once you’re there you can get involved in a wide range of winter sporting activities like skiing, snowboarding or even sledging if you’re not keen on anything too difficult.
What snow sports can I try?
Luckily, there is a huge range of winter sports that you can try on your snow holiday. Some of the most popular ones include:
- Skiing – One of the easiest to learn, skiing involves starting on a small slope before working up to more challenging terrain. Using skis and poles, you can hurtle down a hill at great speed, which makes it an enjoyable sport for many.
- Snowboarding – This winter sport involves descending a slope on a wide board attached to your feet. Inspired by skateboarding, this sport is hugely popular – but not the easiest to learn!
- Luge – A small one or two-person sledge, a luge involves propelling yourself down a ramp at high speeds. Not for the faint-hearted, this winter sport takes courage of steel!
What are the health benefits of a snow holiday?
Although snow holidays aren’t cheap, especially with high inflation rates hitting many households, the benefits of a ski holiday to Austria or elsewhere in Europe aren’t to be understated. Here are just some of the benefits:
- It can improve your balance – Skiing involves shifting your body weight from foot to foot to steer your skis in the right direction. This alone is an excellent way to develop your balance and strengthen your core muscles.
- Improves your mood – Lots of research suggests that being out and about in nature is excellent for your mental health. Add on top of this doing exercise and the endorphin rush will have you feeling satisfied and happier.
- It’s good for your heart – Winter sports like skiing are an excellent form of cardio as your muscles will be working hard – including your heart.
- It can help you relax – Many of us go about our daily lives feeling a certain level of stress. If you often feel stressed, skiing is a brilliant antidote as winter sports release hormones that release your levels of cortisol. And as you’ll be outside in the cold? You’ll probably feel more alert too!
No matter the reason for looking into a snow holiday, there are a plethora of reasons why a snow holiday is a good idea. Whether you need some breathtaking landscapes or a bit of exercise, a ski holiday can provide it in bucketloads.