A facelift is a cosmetic surgery that ensures your face has a youthful appearance. The procedure will help reshape at least half of the face by getting rid of the excess facial skin.
A New Jersey facelift surgeon can carry out the procedure and tighten the loose skin hanging around the jawline. The deep creases will be removed around the nose and mouth.
What Should You Expect?
Before a surgeon carries out a facelift, they’ll first check your medical history. The main focus will be on:
- Blood clotting
- Blood pressure
- Cigarette smoking
- Drug use
- Skin condition
The medical practitioner will initiate a discussion about the facelift procedure. They’ll explain everything that’ll take place, including what to expect during the recovery process, the anesthesia type to be used, and some of the complications that will appear. The medic also examines the expectations and goals of the procedure depending on your bone structure and skin type.
Side Effects of the Facelift
The side effects are similar to any other plastic surgery procedure. Fortunately, the side effects usually fade away in a few days or weeks. You should keep in mind that the side effects will temporarily affect your appearance; however, they’ll subside with time, and you can rock that new look with confidence.
The side effects include:
- Bruising– after the procedure, you’ll suffer from bruising as you recover. The bruising can persist for at least two weeks. You’ll notice that the thinner areas are the ones that will be affected by bruising
- Scarring– the incisions made by the surgeon during the procedure will leave some scars as you heal. The scarring will fade away in a few months. Fortunately, the incisions are made around the hairline, which means you won’t have a hard time concealing the scars after the facelift.
- Swelling– this is a common side effect after the procedure regardless of the type of cosmetic surgery you have undergone. If you want to hinder swelling, you can bend over or partake in activities that will help to increase blood pressure. The swelling should fade away in at least two weeks.
- Discomfort– as you heal after the facelift, you’ll experience varying levels of tenderness and pain. In most cases, the pain will be mild. The plastic surgeon will recommend some medication that will help to deal with the discomfort.
Recommendations Revolving Around a Facelift
Before you go ahead with the facelift surgery, you should consider each of the following factors:
- If you have diabetes and high blood pressure, you’re at an increased risk of incurring health complications after the procedure.
- The facelift procedure is not advisable for people who have underlying medical conditions. Each candidate should also be in good physical and mental health.
- Your expectations should be reasonable, considering the facelift will not stop you from aging.
- Tobacco consumption and cigarette smoking increase your risk of incurring health complications after the facelift procedure. The healing process will be affected. If you want the procedure to yield positive results, you should stop using nicotine products and smoking.
- A week before the surgery, the patient should not consume aspirin or any medication that contributes to blood thinning.
- Good bone structure and skin elasticity will help to guarantee the best results.
The results of the facelift will be permanent; thus, you should ensure the expectations are realistic.
The Recovery Process
There are some patients who’ll experience some discomfort. Fortunately, there is the medication that can help to relieve the tenderness. After the facelift, you’ll experience swelling and bruising after two days. The average recovery period is at least two weeks. The surgeon will get rid of the sutures after ten days.
You should ensure the bandages and incisions are dry at all times. A patient who has undergone a facelift should adhere to the instructions issued by the surgeon regarding washing and bathing.
Ensure you follow the instructions issued by the doctor to the letter. If you do so, the healing process will take place fast, and you’ll get a positive result at the end of the recovery process.
Muscle fitness and numbness are normal to some extent. The scars will take at least one year to tone down and fade. Always keep in mind that genetics play a role. Also, you should ensure you have a healthy lifestyle and a balanced diet. Exercise regularly such that you’ll manage to maintain the appearance of your skin.
Ensure you’ve limited your alcohol intake and avoid smoking. You should minimize your exposure to the sun, stress and avoid getting into contact with pollutants such that you can easily maintain your skin’s youthful appearance.
When you maintain each of these habits, you can easily maintain the positive results from facelift surgery.
Is a Facelift Worth It?
The facelift will help to ensure you have smoother skin. You’ll also have a youthful appearance.
The procedure for the facelift is as follows:
- Getting rid of the sagging skin and tightening it
- Ensuring the sag around the jawline has been reduced
- The corners of the mouth will be lifted
- The creases present between the lips and cheeks will reduce
The incisions behind and in front of the ear cannot be noticed easily. Nevertheless, the main issue is that the results of the facelift won’t last a lifetime.
Some research has been conducted. After at least five years from when the surgery was conducted, the facelift results will fade away; nonetheless, a considerable percentage of the people who underwent surgery will still maintain that younger appearance.
For men, it is not easy to attain a natural appearance after a facelift, considering you have some hair in front of your ears. The sideburns cannot also be pulled upward and backward since your appearance will be awkward afterward.
When you undergo a facelift, there is a likelihood that you’ll have distorted earlobes. If the surgeon removes too much skin, it means your face will appear startled.
To ensure the facelift results are desirable, you should work with a surgeon who has conducted such a procedure numerous times in the past. An experienced surgeon can advise you accordingly and ensure you’ll get the most out of the facelift.